Tuesday, October 26, 2004

 

Back in the day...

[This post is inspired by a conversation I had yesterday while I was fasting]

Ok... I'm gonna sound like a 60 year-old, but do you guys remember back in the day, when you could go to the "Baqala" with just a 1/4 dinar and buy tons of shit?

Now, this is not a post about modern economics...
It's simply about our favorite old treats.
And with Halloween around the corner, it makes sense to sit and reminisce about the yummy "goodies of old" (a couple are non-edible)

Here are some of my favorites:

KDD ice-cream sandwich (my all time fave)

Raspberry Lolly a.k.a. "Muthalath toot" (orange was ok too I guess)

Flona Bufak (or rather, Pufak)

Two-Finger Pufak "Bu 9ub3ayn" (shaped like 2 huge cigars)

Sunkist orange drink (that you bite open--it was all sugar and water)

Gum with the ink tattoo inside the wrapper (lick it and stick it on your forearm)

"Bu Nijoom" Chocolate

Rountree's fruit gums "Ma6a6" (They still make them, but they're just not the same)

Umbrella Chocolate "Bu Shamsiya"

"Kitco nice" rings (put 'em on your fingers, then eat 'em up)

Heart shaped lollipop (used to cost like 5 fils or something, we'd always get these with the left-over change)

"Chiraqi" (little firecracker poppers that you throw down on the ground "bil 7osh" or pop between your fingers if you had the balls!

Stinky bubbles (with the tube and straw). Remember those? You use the straw and add a glob of the goo, and then blow bubbles. They smelled like glue and got you really high! (they were so weird-heavy little bubbles, they'd fall right to the floor--- kinda defeating the purpose of being a bubble...)

Man, I’m sure I’m missing some more...

Now I know some of you would beg to differ with the contents of this list, that's why I want to know your version...

Note: I have already been told that KDD’s "Lulu" and "Kulfi" can out-do my beloved "ice-cream sandwich".
But Kulfi is new, so I will dismiss it--- Sorry Tata :)

So, I’m curious to see what y’all think.

(and make sure they're "old school", none of that new stuff we see these days)

-peace out-

Comments:
I dont know about you, but I still eat that stuff. And the prices haven't changed the triangle KDD icecream still 50fils same with the sunkist, and 100fils for the kitco rings then you buy the tatoo gum with the rest.

Oh and NEVER pour the Sunkist in a glass.
 
I dont know about you, but I still eat that stuff. And the prices haven't changed the triangle KDD icecream still 50fils same with the sunkist, and 100fils for the kitco rings then you buy the tatoo gum with the rest.

Oh and NEVER pour the Sunkist in a glass.
 
I love this post! It's so much fun to go back in time and remenisce (spelling?) :)

Ice-Cream Sandwhich is also my all time fave :P

Sunkist was awesome (mango and orange)!

Then there's "Pocky" which is a japanese snack. Not sure what we used to call it. It came in the orange cup thingy. Once you tear the top open, inside the cup is two sides. Half a side is those long biscuits, and the other half is chocolate dip. I used to love those, and still do. Also there was strawberry flavors.

Then there's "Tutti Frutti" the little chewy candy that came in shapes of butterflies and snails. The box was colorful and pretty as well. I used to buy this all the time from the baqala at the chalet.

I loved the hearshaped lollipops but don't forget the blue lollipops that turned your tongue blue! :P

"Stinky bubbles (with the tube and straw). Remember those? You use the straw and add a glob of the goo, and then blow bubbles. They smelled like glue and got you really high! (they were so weird-heavy little bubbles, they'd fall right to the floor--- kinda defeating the purpose of being a bubble...)"

Oh my God! Amunki that was just tooooo funny! haha I couldn't stop laughing when I read that.
 
Oh, Oh, I forgot "Pop Rocks"...
That little candy that looks like pebbles and crackles and pops in your mouth!!
 
Agool does "nerds" count as old school? Y'know, the little packet with two sides and two holes from each side. One side was blue rock candy (blueberry) and the other was red rocks (strawberry).

Pop rocks were fun!
 
OMG! "NERDS" and "ROLO"...
I completely forgot about those...
Yummyyyyy.

By the way, I want to thank everybody for their lists. I'm impressed...

I also wanna make sure I mention some classics like:

"gummy bears" (or gummy worms, gummy anything really)

"Twin-pop" popsicles. You had to break 'em apart. I used to have these back in the states (grape, cherry and orange)

"Coin candy". There were 2 types. Chocolate and chewing gum. Shaped like gold coins.
Whoa... Sha'7baaaryyyyy.

"Jolly Ranchers" --- Ahhh.. I used to love these! (still do)

"Blow-Pops"- with the gum inside (such innovation! A lollipop and gum at the same time!)

"Old school pop-corn". The kind that you had to make on the stove. It came in the aluminum pan with the handle, with the foil that became a HUGE bubble. Holy shit. I forgot those existed. (I think they still sell these).
You had to shake shake shake it, and watch the steam come out the little hole at the top. (and you always burnt some no matter how hard you tried not to).
---God bless the microwave---

Hmmm... I better stop here.
I'm starting to freak myself out.
 
I love the post Amun :} will add a few of my old time fav. 7law bec. u mentioned most of my fav.'s:

** Bard Bo thahab
** 7law elmoz : banana shaped chewy yellow 7law that had sugar sticking on it & it was in a shape of a sliced banana.
** "I dont know the name" the can that had two sides one contained biscuit sticks the other chocolate cream where u dip then eat.
** as for the heart shaped lolly pop it reminds me of our pediatrician (where all of my brothers & sister been to & he knows us like we were his kids :} I love the guy) Dr. Suhail Khammar, Palestinian who used to give us this candy to calm us down after a good cry from examination.

That was a nice post :} loved it & loved the comments, have a nice day.
 
What a great site » »
 
Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. »
 
i love this post! I was looking up pufak and this post came up. Very nostalgic and now have a huge craving for pufak, KDD triangle shape icecream, sunkist orange(we used to get these for 50 fils during our breaks in school), sandwich icecream. Another one to add to the list is the Safari chocolates which tasted as good as Lion but cheaper.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?