Monday, November 08, 2004

 

Tool (a.k.a The Greatest Rock Band in the World)

So I decided to opt for a "rock-filled" post for you on this Monday morning...

Quick flashback, the lyrics to "the greatest song in the world" by Tenacious D (Comedy/Rock band comprised of Jack Black and his buddy Kyle Gass)

To quote my dear friend from one of his music posts:
For those of you living in a cave, and have never heard their music (or heard of them at all) "TOOL" is quite possible the finest rock band ever. Ever...
(You can quote me on that).

I will forever be thankful to "my Ex" for introducing me this band way back in 1996.

Now, I will spare you the details of the band’s background etc.
Just go to Their website. You can find out whatever you need there.

Instead, I will just focus on how much they rock...

I know some of you fellow "rockers" might disagree. So please, before you send me a "Metallica Rules" or "Zeppelin Forever" comment, keep in mind that as much as I like other bands, they all seem to fade in comparison, and nothing you can do or say will sway my opinion.

I love all genres of music. I listen to everything.
From rock to alternative to folk to techno to pop to country to classical to (gasp) Arabic (as of late). You name it--I’ll give it a try.

I am about as insane about music as Dewey Finn (Jack Black’s character) was in "School of Rock".

Remember that diagram he drew? The one with Rock music evolution
Yeah...I am that way.

So, back to Tool.
Here's the thing that gets me.
As amazing as the band's musicianship is (and they are DAMN GOOD musicians), it is paralleled (if not exceeded) by their unbelievable achievement in creating the most stunning and intricate music videos ever made (all directed by their brilliant guitarist Adam Jones).
They are mostly clay-mation/stop-motion. Very macabre.
They are something else. Really.
If you have not been so lucky as to have witnessed a video by Tool, I pity you. You poor thing. You have missed out.

But it's never too late... I think you can see them here.

I am a music lover. Hence, the AUDIO is everything to me.
But I am also a "Perceiver" (ENFP), and so the VIDEO is equally as important to me. So, that combination of superb A/V technical ability, had me instantly sold.

Not to mention kick-ass lyrics and the voice of Maynard James Keenan. My God. That voice.
I can not even describe it.
The man can perform with a hushed comforting (tribal/eastern-influenced) tone, and then unleash a howl that will make you want your mommy...
(He is also by the way, the frontman for "A Perfect Circle" another side-band. As great as their music is, I believe his work with Tool is WAY better) .

Now... I'm not really here to "diss" other bands. God knows there are other amazing rock bands. However, nothing (and I mean nothing) has quite the same impact as Tool.

They have a way of combining amazing riffs and vocals. Your mood is instantly transformed. It's trance-inducing progressive metal, All the while, never sounding like over-processed rock/metal kitsch...

None of that bullshit "Nu-metal" with whining rockers turned rappers trying to sound all "hard". Just a few "wiggas" influenced by BOTH rock and rap.
Yeah. Ok. That's cool and all. But it’s out-dated bullshit ("I did it all for the nookie? So you can take that cookie?")
PUH-LEASE...
And oh, to sound all hard, he says: "you can take that cookie, and stick it up your"...
Seriously. That is the epitome of lameness and "suckage"

(note: The only good song Limp Bizkit ever had was "Counterfeit" from their first album (and it was only good cuz it was a blantanly "Korn"-influenced track).

If anything, Tool is quite the intelligent and "sensitive" band. You can tell by the way that Maynard executes the vocals. He sounds so vulnerable (but never cheesy). It's like really hard-core "Emo". The subject matter is often dark and very deep.

They are not a poser band that tries too hard.

They are shocking, but not in that "we're-trying-to-appeal-to-young-angry-teenagers-who-want-to-rebel-by-acting-all-goth" like Marilyn Manson.

They have strong viewpoints, but not too politically driven like "Rage Against the Machine".

They are known, but not overly commercialized.

And dude, they collaborate with the coolest people (like Tori Amos on the song "Muhammad my friend", and with Henry Rollins in "Bottom"---one of their finest tracks).
If you are reading---I love you Henry Rollins (I saw you twice live on your "spoken word tour" and you said "Hi" to me--- Shit, I sound like a groupie)

Anyway, I could go on and on about what makes this band so awesome.

My favorite album is perhaps Aenima (because it was the first one I really got absorbed in). Opiate and Undertow are just brilliant, and Lateralus (their last one) is filling my ears right now as I type this. (To provide a little inspirato, if you will)

Right now one of my favorite songs of all time is playing "Schism".

Here's my favorite part (it's a little breakdown towards the end of the song).
I love the way he sings this:

Cold
Cold
Cold silence has
A tendency to
Atrophy any
Sense of compassion...
Between supposed brothers
Between supposed lovers...

---then the band rocks out---

Damn...
Anyway, on that note, I will leave you.

Comments:
NO NO NO! Tool Ain't the best rock band in the world. That is impossible! You throw away all those good rock bands from 60's and 70's and say TOOL!!! TOOL! the guys who made the strange twisted video!!

I say Nay, NAY NAY NAY! I demand a recount!
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Jack Black's School of Rock movie..er, for lack of a better word, totally rocked!

Purg: Copy Cat ;) Maikhalif, Imitation is the Sincerest Form of Flattery ;)

Gigi, blah-ly
 
GiGi, copy cat?? eshloon?
 
Purg, ask P4 ;r
hehehehe

Gigi, cryptically
 
Where did you find it? Interesting read Bill gates investment Are some aa batteries larger than others Chrome cadillac rims
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?